You will learn how to:
- monitor and maintain health and safety, food safety and security practices to ensure own safety and minimise potential hazards for customers.
- monitor and maintain interactions between colleagues, managers and customers.
- monitor and maintain the application of standard operating policies and procedures to work roles in a commercial kitchen.
- apply cookery skills to prepare, cook and present a range of cold larder dishes, hot kitchen dishes as well as patisserie and desserts employing complex preparation and presentation techniques.
- New Zealand Certificate in Cookery (Level 3); or
- Equivalent knowledge, skills, work experience or study.
Chef de partie, Sous Chef, Head Cook, Pastry Chef
Programme Specific Information
Students are required to undertake 80 hours of work experience within the catering industry to enhance their formal learning.
This qualification leads to the NZ Diploma in Cookery (Advanced) (Level 5) with strands in Cookery and Patisserie
Chefs in an intermediate position producing complex dishes in a professional kitchen.
- Textbooks, stationery and printing $130 approx.
- Uniform - $200 approx.
Changes for 2023 learners
On 1 November 2022, WITT and the programme you have enrolled in became part of Te Pūkenga – New Zealand Institute of Skills and Technology .
When you apply to study with WITT in 2023, you will be enrolled with Te Pūkenga, the new national network of vocational and applied education in Aotearoa New Zealand. You will learn in the same way, in the same place, and with the same people. The great news is that this enables us to share skills and knowledge across a network of passionate education providers, to better help you succeed.
Please note that all programmes offered by WITT and other subsidiaries of Te Pūkenga are under review. This is to make sure they are portable, consistent, and aligned with the needs of the industry to provide you with excellent and quality educational opportunities.
New Zealand Certificate in Food and Beverage Service with strands in Barista and Restaurant Service (Level 3)
New Zealand Diploma in Cookery (Advanced) (Level 5)