Gain the basic skills to start work in the barbering industry, including introductory barbering haircuts and
You will learn how to :
- undertake basic initial barbering haircuts, using introductory barbering skills
- communicate effectively with clients at an entry-level
- demonstrate health and safety compliance, and meet professional barbering standards.
Programme Specific Information
- 40 credits at NCEA Level 1, including 10 Literacy credits and 10 Numeracy credits; or
- A relevant qualification at NZQF Level 2 or above; or
- Equivalent knowledge, skills, work experience or study.
This programme is one-year full-time or equivalent part-time study.
Classes are taught 3 days a week.
This programme includes competency-based assignments, theory tests and practical assessments.
Students will be provided with a barbering kit and t-shirt (uniform) as part of the programme.
Students are required to complete 60 hours of work experience during the programme.
- Stationery - $100 (approx) per year
- Uniform/ personal presentation - $200 (approx). Includes shoes, pants/skirt, makeup and or hair products
- Provide models for collection of evidence and assessment
- Provide smart shoes suitable for standing long periods
- Provide smart pants or skirt to wear with T-shirt (uniform)
- Source a salon for work experience requirements
- Student makeup and hair groomed to industry standard for class
- Access to a WITT PC, or personal laptop is required