This qualification is at a level comparable to the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR) mid B2 and allows educational institutions to make informed judgements regarding the level at which the graduate can use English for academic purposes.
You will learn how to:
- understand main ideas and supporting details of moderately complex oral academic texts.
- participate effectively in sustained spoken academic discourse.
- understand main ideas and supporting details of moderately complex written academic texts.
- write detailed, developed, moderately complex academic texts.
Programme specific information
- Foreign-born nationals whose first language is not English (international students or foreign born resident visa holders)
- NZCEL Level 3 (Applied) or equivalent.
Further study options
Completion of these qualifications will assist students to meet the English language entry requirements for WITT Te Pūkenga certificates, diplomas and degrees.
Textbooks to be purchased online: $171 approximately.
Stationery and printing $130 approximately.
Monday & Friday: 9am – 12pm, 1pm – 4pm
Tuesday & Thursday: 9am – 12pm, 1pm – 4pm
For satisfactory progress to be made, 90% attendance is required. All class attendance will be recorded.
New Zealand Certificate in English Language (Academic) (Level 5)
Holders of the New Zealand Certificate in English Language (Academic) (Level 4) will have the English language skills to work in positions that require:
- Interpersonal communication
- Understanding of context-specific professional and/or technical texts
- Writing context-specific records and reports
- Interaction in a team.
Changes for 2023 learners
On 1 November 2022, WITT and the programme you have enrolled in became part of Te Pūkenga – New Zealand Institute of Skills and Technology .
When you apply to study with WITT in 2023, you will be enrolled with Te Pūkenga, the new national network of vocational and applied education in Aotearoa New Zealand. You will learn in the same way, in the same place, and with the same people. The great news is that this enables us to share skills and knowledge across a network of passionate education providers, to better help you succeed.
Please note that all programmes offered by WITT and other subsidiaries of Te Pūkenga are under review. This is to make sure they are portable, consistent, and aligned with the needs of the industry to provide you with excellent and quality educational opportunities.
New Zealand Certificate in English Language (Applied) (Level 3)