Graduate profile (Outcome)
Graduates will be able to:
- work safely and in accordance with compliance and regulatory requirements in the construction trades sector
- communicate effectively with colleagues and customers within the construction industry
- read and use specifications and drawings to complete simple construction projects
- perform simple calculations to complete a range of familiar tasks in the construction sector
Graduates of the Carpentry strand will also be able to:
- understand and apply specific carpentry terminology and concepts such as line, level, square and plumb when carrying out carpentry work in a project environment
- understand basic building technology, the properties of timber, concrete, steel and composite products, interior and exterior linings and fixings, and apply this knowledge to carpentry projects
- use construction and installation processes and techniques while carrying out carpentry projects
- carry out assigned carpentry work in a project environment
- Open entry.
Graduates of this qualification will be able to enter employment in trades within the construction industry as a labourer or an apprentice. With additional training and/or experience they may go on to further roles in the construction industry such as carpenter, joiner, plasterer, painter or roofer.
To enhance the students’ learning, it is highly recommended that students undertake work experience in the construction industry.
Further Study Options
Study towards a Level 4 qualification in carpentry, joinery or another construction related allied trade.