You will learn how to:
- follow workplace policies, procedures and relevant regulations to work safely and effectively in an automotive workshop.
- use tools and equipment to complete basic workshop engineering tasks.
- apply fundamental automotive engineering knowledge to service engine, and driveline systems.
- check operation of, and perform minor repairs on, electrical and electronic systems
- apply fundamental automotive engineering knowledge to service steering, suspension, tyres and brake systems.
Programme Specific Information
- Open entry
Learners should hold or be working towards a Class 1 drivers licence.
Students are encouraged to undertake 240 hours of work experience for this programme. Doing so will consolidate course content, establish relationships with industry and open up employment/apprenticeship opportunities.
Automotive Engineer, Motorcycle Engineer, Automotive Electrical Engineer, automotive machinist, accessories and parts sales, Automotive Dismantler, small engine repair, power boat servicing.
- Overalls – no exposed zip at front and NOT Nylon - approx $60 to $150
- Safety Boots (steel capped) - approx $100 to $250
- Safety Glasses - $10
- Small LED Light - $11
- A4 lever arch folder, lined A4 refill, calculator, pencil, pens, etc - $25 approx
- A laptop or tablet is also required - approx $750
Changes for 2023 learners
On 1 November 2022, WITT and the programme you have enrolled in became part of Te Pūkenga – New Zealand Institute of Skills and Technology .
When you apply to study with WITT in 2023, you will be enrolled with Te Pūkenga, the new national network of vocational and applied education in Aotearoa New Zealand. You will learn in the same way, in the same place, and with the same people. The great news is that this enables us to share skills and knowledge across a network of passionate education providers, to better help you succeed.
Please note that all programmes offered by WITT and other subsidiaries of Te Pūkenga are under review. This is to make sure they are portable, consistent, and aligned with the needs of the industry to provide you with excellent and quality educational opportunities.