Beauty therapy graduates are in demand and you can expect to gain work in a salon or be able to work independently. Students have the opportunity to sit an optional CIDESCO qualification which opens the door to work worldwide.
The programme includes
- Lash lifting
- Lash extensions
- Body machinery
- Facial peels
- Hot stone massage
- Brow lamination
- Brazilian waxing
Graduates will be able to:
- implement professional standards and expectations relating to advanced beauty services including all relevant health, safety and hygiene obligations.
- undertake an in-depth consultation and build rapport with clients to analyse and evaluate their needs, and develop and manage a treatment plan for advanced beauty services.
- apply knowledge of advanced skin care, body therapy and hair removal services as well as products and related skills, to meet client’s needs during and after treatment, in accordance with industry standards and current and emerging trends.
- apply knowledge of relevant aspects of chemistry, physics and biology in an advanced beauty services context to provide effective services and ensure client comfort and safety.
- manage the operation of a small beauty sector business or client base.
- apply knowledge of skin and body diseases and disorders in order to identify symptoms, provide information and advice, and refer clients to health practitioners in accordance with industry standards relating to scope of practice.
- provide nutritional advice which is complementary to advanced beauty services.
Programme specific information
- New Zealand Certificate in Beauty Therapy (Level 4); or
- Equivalent knowledge, skills, work experience or study.
Any applicants whose first language is not English may be required to provide evidence of an overall IELTS (Academic) band score of 5 (with no score below 5 in speaking, reading, writing and listening) or equivalent.
Programme is delivered three days per week including one late night per week
This programme includes competency-based assignments, theory tests and practical assessments
This programme has no requirement for work experience, but students are recommended to undertake work experience to enhance their formal learning.
Graduates of this qualification may be employed, contracted or self-employed, in positions such as:
- Beauty Therapist
- Salon Manager/owner
- Product Company Representative
- Stationery - $100 approx
- Uniform & personal presentation - $200 approx (includes shoes, makeup and hair products). Black cardigan optional
- Beauty tunic and pants - $130 (if student is new to WITT)
- Advanced beauty kit - $300
**Reassessment/Resubmission Fee: At least $10 per performance criteria to a max of $50
Students are provided with
- Provide models for collection of evidence and assessment
- Provide smart shoes suitable for standing long periods
- Student makeup and hair groomed to industry standard for class
- Access to a WITT PC, or personal laptop is required
Changes for 2023 learners
On 1 November 2022, WITT and the programme you have enrolled in became part of Te Pūkenga – New Zealand Institute of Skills and Technology .
When you apply to study with WITT in 2023, you will be enrolled with Te Pūkenga, the new national network of vocational and applied education in Aotearoa New Zealand. You will learn in the same way, in the same place, and with the same people. The great news is that this enables us to share skills and knowledge across a network of passionate education providers, to better help you succeed.
Please note that all programmes offered by WITT and other subsidiaries of Te Pūkenga are under review. This is to make sure they are portable, consistent, and aligned with the needs of the industry to provide you with excellent and quality educational opportunities.
New Zealand Certificate in Beauty Therapy (Level 4)