Study includes three days per week on campus (one late night per week scheduled in the second half of the programme).
Learn from industry experienced tutors and enjoy the benefits of small, supportive class sizes as you learn body therapy, facial therapy, nails and tanning as well as professional practice and an understating of anatomy and physiology. Put your new skills into practice with clients in Industrie Beauty Salon, our replica salon.
You will learn how to:
- implement profession standards and expectations relating to the beauty workplace including all relevant health, safety and hygiene obligations.
- undertake a full consultation with clients, build client rapport and perform an in-depth need analysis for beauty services and product needs to develop a beauty treatment plan.
- apply knowledge of natural nail services, facial and skincare services, manual hair removal and body care services.
- perform facial and skin care services.
- perform manual hair removal and body care services.
- apply knowledge of relevant aspects of chemistry, physics and biology in a beauty services context to provide effective services and ensure client comfort and safety.
- provide nutritional advice specific to the skin which is complementary for healthy skin, hair and nails.
- apply knowledge of skin and skin-related disease and disorders to identify symptoms and advise clients’ of possible implications in terms of proposed beauty services.
- provide reception and client sales services and carry out associated transactions and administration.
- contribute to the operation of a small beauty sector business or client base.
Programme Specific Information
This programme is open entry.
This qualification is designed to provide the beauty sector with therapists who have the skills and knowledge to analyse, plan and provide a broad range of beauty services. It is intended for learners who have little or no prior learning or experience in beauty services.
This is a one-year full-time programme of study, or equivalent part-time
Programme is delivered three days per week, one late night per week scheduled in 2nd half of the Programme.
This programme includes competency-based assignments, theory tests and practical assessments.
This programme has no requirement for work experience, but students are recommended to undertake work experience to enhance their formal learning.
This qualification builds on the New Zealan d Certificate in Makeup and Skincare (Level 3) and may lead to the: NZ Diploma in Beauty Therapy (Level 5).
Graduates of this qualification may be emp loyed, contracted or self-employed, in positions such as: Beauty Therapist and Beauty Consultant.
- Stationery and printing - Approx. $100
- Uniform/ Personal presentation - Approx. $250 (includes pants, shoes, makeup and hair products) black cardigan optional.
- Uniform T-shirts optional at a cost of $27
**Reassessment/Resubmission Fee: At least $10 per performance criteria to a max of $50
Students are provided with:
Beauty Therapy kit and uniform (tunic)
- Provide models for collection of evidence and assessments
- Provide smart black closed in shoes (must be comfortable and soft soled)
- Student makeup and hair groomed to industry standard for class
- Access to a WITT PC, or personal laptop is required
Changes for new learners
WITT and this programme are part of Te Pūkenga – New Zealand Institute of Skills and Technology .