There’s a mix of practical learning, with some theory, as well as 10 weeks of industry experience. You’ll team up with a real harvesting crew to put your skills and knowledge into practice.
You could play a key role in harvesting our production forests by working in a commercial forest harvesting or log scaling operation. There’s a mix of practical learning, with some theory, as well as 10 weeks of industry experience. You’ll team up with a real harvesting crew to put your skills and knowledge into practice.
Graduates of this qualification will be able to:
- apply knowledge of health and safety responsibilities, risk management, emergency procedures, and communication systems to maintain safety during forest harvesting operations.
- protect personal wellbeing, team relationships and the physical environment, including historical sites and areas of cultural significance to Māori, during forest harvesting operations.
- apply knowledge of standard operating procedures and apply good work practices to operate equipment accordingly to carry out tasks specific to forest harvesting operations.
Graduates of the Landing Operations strand will also be able to:
- operate and maintain a chainsaw in a forestry harvesting operation.
- conduct tasks in a landing operation as per job specifications.
What job opportunities will I have after I complete my programme?
Roles may include: cable operation breaker out, manual processor, quality controller and poleman.
Programme Specific Information
What can I expect out of this programme?
The purpose of this qualification is to provide the forest industry with individuals who have the skills and knowledge required to operate at a production level in an operational role in a forest harvesting operation.
Graduates will have an understanding of safety, environmental and quality requirements of working in a forest harvesting operation. They will work under limited supervision to meet productivity requirements.
What will I learn and how long will I be studying for?
This 20 week hands-on programme prepares you to have the skills and knowledge to work in a forest harvesting crew carrying out work specific to the landing strand you have completed.
This programme is open entry.
- Must be physically fit and able to complete practical work.
- Applicants will also need to submit a completed Personal Health Status Declaration to confirm that they will be physically capable of working in the forestry harvesting environment
- Enrolment onto the programme is conditional on the student agreeing to undergo drug screening as indicated by signing the Student Drug-Free Agreement for this programme