When you graduate you will have the essential cooking and serving skills in line with New Zealand food safety guidelines.
This one trimester programme will teach you the skills to enter the hospitality industry or pursue onto higher level study while learning in a marae wharekai and following marae tikanga.
Classes are from 9am – 3pm, 4 days per week, and will take place on a Marae and Hawera campus.
You will learn how to:
- apply health and safety, food safety and security practices to ensure own safety and minimise potential hazards for customers.
- communicate effectively and behave in a professional manner with colleagues, managers and customers.
- follow standard operating procedures to deal with familiar problems in a commercial kitchen.
- apply fundamental cookery skills to prepare, cook and present a range of basic dishes employing commodities commonly used in the industry.
Programme Specific Information
Students are required to undertake 40 hours of work experience within the catering industry to enhance their formal learning.
- Stationery - $20
- Printing - $10
- Shoes - between $80 - $150*
- Required Text: The New Zealand Chef - $130**
*Fully enclosed flat black shoes. Solid leather closed in footwear with an appropriate non-slip, non-marking sole.
**The New Zealand Chef (ISBN: 9781442553231). Can be purchased through TextbooksRus - textbooksRus.co.nz
Changes for new learners
WITT and this programme are part of Te Pūkenga – New Zealand Institute of Skills and Technology .