Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need Medical and Travel Insurance?

International students (including group students) must have appropriate and current medical and travel insurance while in New Zealand. A provision for the premium for travel and medical insurance will be included within your offer of a place. Insurance must be valid from the period of your enrolment until the expiry of the Student Visa unless departing New Zealand earlier. Our preferred supplier is Uni-Care and details of the student insurance policy may be found on the Uni-Care website.  If you wish to provide your own medical and travel insurance, you should provide a copy of the insurance policy (translated into English) to WITT for verification of acceptable cover. The premium provision will then be refunded to you on arrival at WITT on submission of the receipt for your insurance.

What about Accident Insurance?

The Accident Compensation Corporation provides accident insurance for all New Zealand citizens, residents, and temporary visitors to New Zealand, but you may still be liable for all other medical and related costs. Further information can be viewed on the ACC website.

Am I eligible for Health Services?

Most international students are not entitled to publicly funded health services while in New Zealand. If you receive medical treatment during your visit, you may be liable for the full cost of that treatment. Full details on entitlements to publicly funded health services are available through the Ministry of Health and can be viewed on their website.

What is the minimum/maximum age to apply?

There is no maximum age to apply, provided that you are a genuine student. Usually, students beginning their programmes are at least 18 years of age. 

Can I work and study in New Zealand?

Click on this link to Immigration New Zealand's website to find out about your rights and work entitlements. 

How long will my study take?

Undergraduate degrees are three years, diplomas are usually two years and certificates are one year. Graduate and postgraduate qualifications can take one to two years to complete.

What about international recognition?

All of our qualifications are recognised internationally. You are able to take your WITT undergraduate degree and apply to other national and international tertiary institutions for graduate and postgraduate study.

Can I get a refund?

It is important that you read WITT's Refund Policy contained in the Conditions of Enrolment document. Each request for a refund is decided on its individual merits and there is no right to a refund of fees if you change your mind about studying at WITT. 

How much can I earn as a student?

Those students who are eligible to work while studying may get causal jobs in areas like hospitality or other service industries. Students can earn between NZD$14-15 per hour.

What do I need for my student visa?

Your WITT Offer of Place letter. This letter means you have been accepted to study. It also states your course fee, which you must pay first to your nearest New Zealand embassy, consulate or immigration office. You will then receive a receipt of payment from us. You must submit these two documents (your Offer of Place and your receipt of fees), along with evidence that you have sufficient funds for living expenses, and a return international air ticket or evidence of sufficient funds to buy one, to your nearest New Zealand embassy, consulate or immigration office.

For programmes longer than 24 months, you will also need to provide very recent medical and X-ray certificates. If you are over 17 years of age, you will need a police certificate to show that you are of good character. See the New Zealand Immigration website for more details.

If you’re still unsure about something, please contact us.

What happens when I finish my course?

Students who have completed their course will be invited to attend graduation. 

Is there an application fee?


Are there any other fees besides the course fees?

  • There is a one-off international registration fee of NZ$250.
  • Textbooks and associated materials are extra to the course tuition fee and are provided as estimates only on the international courses page.
  • New Plymouth Airport pick up is free (providing we receive at least 48 hours notice of arrival details).
  • If you are having Homestay accommodation, there is a Homestay application fee of NZD$150.
  • If you are seeking recognition of prior learning or a credit transfer there is an application fee of NZD$10 per credit (to a maximum of NZD$450 unless otherwise approved by Head of Faculty). There are no fees for Cross credits.

How long does it take to apply?

We suggest you apply at least three to four months before your programme starts so that you are organised to arrive on time.

Are photocopying and printing available?

You will be issued with a student ID card after enrolment. You have the option of being able to credit your card with money for photocopying and printing. Photocopiers and printers are located around the campus.

What do I need to include in my application?

Your English language test results: IELTS, TOEFL or TOIEC. We also require certified copies of any academic results you have from your overseas high school or university. We may also require your curriculum vitae or a portfolio, depending on your programme entry requirements.

See our step by step guide to applying.

Have you got a question not covered in this FAQ? Contact us.