Having trouble getting to your course each morning?
We have a few ways to make getting to class easier and more affordable.
Free public bus services for WITT students
Public bus services are operated under contract to the Taranaki Regional Council.
For the latest timetables, routes etc. visit https://www.trc.govt.nz/buses-transport/routes/
Timetables are also available from bus drivers, any district library or service centre in the New Plymouth District, the Ariki Street Bus Centre and Stratford or South Taranaki District service centres. You can follow them on the Taranaki Public Transport Face Book Group www.facebook.com/groups/TaranakiTransport/ to keep up to date with the services, changes and other news.
New Plymouth, Bell Block Waitara and Oakura
The Citylink bus service is operated by Tranzit Coachlines.
New Plymouth – 9 routes operating 14 services, week days (excluding Public Holidays)
Bell Block and Waitara –5 return services weekdays
Oakura – 4 return services weekdays
Hawera to New Plymouth
The Connector bus service is operated by Pickering Motors.
Hawera to New Plymouth – 4 return services, week days (excluding Public Holidays). You can phone them on 0800 26 63 28 or visit their website
Live tracking of the Connector bus. Go to www.trackabus.co.nz/taranaki/
Available via mobile browser or by text. Text NPY and then the Stop# (refer timetable for your stop number) to 400. Txt charges apply.
Frequently Asked Questions on the Hawera to New Plymouth Connector bus service
1. I don’t live at one of the towns noted on the timetable. Can I still be picked up? Yes, anyone along the route on State Highway 3 can be picked up. Designated pick up points have been set or can be arranged when booking. Please phone 0800 221 120 to get more information or to arrange a pick up point.
2. Do I have to book? Yes, it is important that all passengers book a seat for the first northbound service, departing Hawera i-SITE at 6.40am, and the last southbound service, departing Ariki St Bus Centre at 5.00pm.
3. How do I book a seat? WITT student passengers must complete the online Connector registration form. Click on the link: www.trc.govt.nz/witt-student-registration-form/
4. Can I just wave the bus down to get it to stop? No, the timetable is very tight and to ensure that it runs on time passengers will only be picked up at designated stops or by arrangement when booking your seat.
5. How much will it cost me? WITT students travel for free on presentation of a valid student ID card. The ID card information is to match the booking name and photo ID. Card name verification will be checked against current WITT enrolments.
6. Can I make a block booking to fit in with my study timetable? Yes, block bookings on a term by term basis can be made. Note however there will be a cancellation requirement of no less than 24 hours to secure block bookings. Be aware that by not cancelling your seat you may be preventing another person from being able get travel on the bus.
7. Is the vehicle able to take passengers with mobility impairments? No, all passengers using the service need to be able to get on and off the bus independently. The service does not cater for people with significant mobility impairments. If you require wheelchair capable transport please contact Taranaki Base Hospital or your nearest Health Centre.
8. I am a Trades Academy student. Can I travel on the bus for free for the days I attend WITT? The Trades Academy Programme Coordinator will discuss your transport options during the interview process. If you are using the Connector bus your travel, for the days you attend WITT, is free. The Trades Academy Administrator will book your seat. The Bus Driver will issue you with a Connector Student Identification Card on your first trip to WITT.
9. If I can’t get on for free how do I pay? The service uses an electronic ticketing system with Smart Cards. Cash fares are also available. Go to your nearest i-SITE to register and obtain your Smart Card. Cards cost $5.00 each.
10. Are concession (discounted) fares available? Yes, a concession fare gives discount off the standard cash fare. Smart Card stored value concession fares are available for the following passengers; Child 5-16 years, Tertiary Students, Senior Citizens, Beneficiaries and ACCESS card holders.
11. Will the bus wait for me if I’m running late? No, the bus runs to a tight timetable so will leave each departure point on time. We recommend you be at your stop at least 10 minutes prior to the stated departure time.
Walking or Biking
Thinking about walking or biking to work but not sure what the best route is to go? New Plymouth is lucky to have lots of walkways and central to get around! Ditch the car and see how far it is for you to get to WITT!
Visit the Let's Go website for more information www.letsgo.org.nz